Monday, March 23, 2009

Easter Legs - Another Baby Legs Tutorial

My latest sewing project is a pair of homemade Easter Legs. They have cute little chick faces at the top (available at Target).

I was in search of a birthday present for a sweet 4 year old girl when I ran across these socks in Target. The time had come to make some baby legs, so I picked up several pairs and made some for my Charlotte too.

There's a great tutorial here, but I got a little lost and found I had to wing it in several parts. So, here's a tutorial of how I made my baby legs.

First, get a pair of knee high socks...
Next, cut off the toes and heels.
Thirdly, take the "foot tube" and fold it in half, right sides facing out, raw edges on the same end.
Next, place folded tube over the "leg" part of the sock - keeping all the raw edges together.
Next, pin layers in place if needed (I didn't, but definitely wrestled with them a bit.) Stitch together first three layers (so as not to sew the sock shut) around the opening near the raw edges. I used a long running stitch for stretch.

Lastly, I used a zig zag stitch between my seam and the raw edges to keep the edges from fraying, and for durability. (A serger would be perfect for this edge.) Now, turn cuff right side out.
That's it! 10 minutes and you're done.

17 comments:

forever folding laundry said...

What a great tutorial - thank you! I'm definitely going to try this.

Recently found your blog...I really enjoy it!

~Keri

Danielle said...

Thanks for explaining that! I looked up tutorials before and got confused...now I get it!

casch said...

These are adorable! Your tutorial was great, even I understood how to do it. These are so darned cute, I haven't seen them though.

lera said...

That's how I make mine, too. I don't bother cutting the foot part to make it smaller. It might fit better on an infant, but I don't have any infants.

I don't have any "Easter Legs," but I have just made some "Earth Day Legs."

(Oh, ha ha -- Easter Legs / Easter Eggs)

Missa said...

So cute, what a great idea!

Kristin Sellars said...

Thanks! I have been wanting to make some for my little girl and baby boy on the way.

Anonymous said...

I love this~*THANK YOU!* I was hoping to crochet some, but even sewing by hand this looks easier! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Shannon Morrison said...

are these adult knee socks? or child knee socks?

Nicole said...

Thank you so much!!

Jonathan's Mom said...

I just blogged about your tutorial and linked to it. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Jen R said...

I had used that other tutorial too, but it was confusing and now (at 17 months) my daughter can't wear the ones I made b/c they are too tight. I found that the best are the toeless knee socks. The cuff is already there for you. Just cut off the heel and sew the foot part on. Super quick and easy. I just cut a bunch the other night, but was wondering about making the tube smaller. I will just do it like you did and can get them all done tonight. Glad I searched for this. Thanks.

Kerstin said...

Thanks! I'm making these for my neice tonight!

Amy said...

Great tutorial. I linked to yours after the tutorial I used didn't work. But to be honest - I did mine exactly the same as you did. This tutorial is easy to follow and it really does only take 10 minutes or so. Here is my blog if you want to see my cute baby legs. http://craftsredesigned.blogspot.com/

Diapers.Deadlines.DIY said...

Great and easy tutorial. I posted it to mine.

Diapers.Deadlines.DIY

Matthew and Bailey Walkup said...

loved your tutorial! I linked to it!

Unknown said...

This is a great tutorial. Sew easy to follow! I posted a link to it on my blog, too. Thanks.

Alli Faber said...

oh thank the Lord!! Your tutorial is fast, easy, and doesn't make me feel lost!!! i was so worried looking at other ones- i wasn't sure i could do it till i found this. hooray!

Related Posts with Thumbnails